Friend In Deed
Upstate Foundation awards $86,626 in grants for 2015
Gifts to the Upstate University Hospital’s Friend In Deed annual fund have a simple yet meaningful purpose – to help patients during their time of greatest need.
This year the Upstate Foundation was able to fund 23 requests for support of patient care, equipment and patient/staff education through money raised during its 2014 Friend in Deed campaign. The applications for funding came from many different departments across both hospital campuses.
Friend In Deed is the annual fund for Upstate’s two hospitals, relying on contributions from grateful patients, their families, past donors and members of the Upstate family and Central New York community. Contributors understand that providing exceptional care in a compassionate way -- is what Upstate doctors, nurses and the healthcare team strive to do every day.
The following initiatives were funded by contributions to the 2014 Friend in Deed Campaign.
- Pillows for mastectomy patients.
- Kindles to be placed on the Cancer Center Comfort Cart.
- iPads for educational and recreational use by the adult inpatient psychiatric patients.
- Indoor cycle for bone marrow transplant patients since they are unable to leave the unit for several weeks due to a risk of infection.
- White boards to be used as a communication tool to better serve patients who are deaf, low vision, hard of hearing or unable to speak.
- Educational books for cancer patients. Due to infection control concerns, all books must be brand new and not previously circulated.
- Handouts for the 500 patients who will seek bariatric surgery in the coming year.
- Support to expand the Expectant Parent Program located on the Community Campus.
- Development of an educational video for patients undergoing joint replacement.
- Matching gift support for an educational challenge grant received by the College of Nursing.
- Books and memory boxes to help adults and children deal with grief and bereavement.
- Support of the Heart Failure Program located on both campuses.
- Support to overcome obstacles to discharge.
- Clothing and sundries for dignity.
- New York State Fair Bicycle Safety Awareness, Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention.
For more information about the campaign, visit Friend in Deed.